Cochlear Implant Surgery Set For....

October 5th, 2012.  Yes, that is correct.  My surgery for my first implant will be October 5th, 2012.  I am excited about it!

Now after tomorrow, October 1st, 2012, I will be four days away from my surgery!  My MRI scan looked good and my ENT doctor gave me the go ahead for the surgery.  Buuuuttttt.....here's the kicker, due to how my insurance runs, I first needed the Medical Clearance from my Primary doctor, whom I do not like so much.

Well, as of September 28th, 2012, my doctor said my blood work looked good and gave me the green light to go! Yippee!  So in the meantime, I will continue with my daily routines such as yoga, walking, Pilate's and the exercise ball.  I have been staying functional and healthy and keeping in shape.  After surgery, for about four weeks, I will not be able to do any of those things as I will be taking it easy to heal properly.  However, when I do get the okay to start back up, I do have a few workouts in mind that won't involved bending over so much or moving the head.

If you are curious as to which ear am I doing first, it will be my right ear.  My better ear, I call it, even though the hearing loss in both ears are the same, I just use my right more.

I was honestly shocked that my surgery was set for October 5th as my ENT doctor/surgeon said he was booked for three surgeries on that day and told me that November would be my best date or even December!   So I must say its a blessing.

Since I know I will be going to my audiologist for adjustments in November and it's really called "mappings", I am looking forward to the holiday seasons which I will be spending time with people who I know and especially family come Christmas time!  While, I am sounding excited, I am also aware of paying attention to my surroundings, making notes of what I can and cannot hear, also practicing listening intensively in different situations.  All this will help my audiologist make the necessary changes to my "mappings" as it gets programed more geared towards how I hear and and how well I hear in different settings.  The whole process is really a group effort with myself and the professionals involved.

I would love to announce on here my choice, but since I already did on Facebook, I have decided to go with Cochlear Americas Nucleus 5 Processor.  I was in a dead heat debate with Advanced Bionics.  Both companies are great, like I mentioned in my previous blog I choose something that was more geared towards my own interest and personality.   Everyone has their own choice, you can pick the one that fits your own needs, no one else can do that for you (which makes this decision a bit intimidating at times).   Since, we live in a world based off of others opinions and experiences, its easy to get caught up in making a decision just based upon those two factors.  The bottom line is, do your own research!  Make it your own personal journey!  Everyone has different experiences, so keep in mind, you will definitely have a different experience!

Some have asked me why is it that no one is really talking about hearing loss, hearing aids or even cochlear implants.  My response is this, for some people we know that if anyone was to know about any type of hearing loss, we get people's sympathies, pities, and trust me no one wants that kind of attention.  It is viewed as a negative in the hearing loss communities.  All many ask is to accept them as is, to give them a chance to show you that they are still the very same person, the very same hard worker, the very same student and nothing in their personality has changed.  Yes, hearing loss can and may have some side effects in productivity, but that can always be improved with the right technology and support system.  Don't give up on them, look for ways to help a person with a hearing loss or deafness, to become more valuable to you and the community. Don't just write them off!  They do have what it takes, all they ask is for your patience and cooperation.

Like many, I have been discriminated and put to the side because of the fact I can barely make it through an interview.  It is difficult.  I have found a interview kit for the hard of hearing and deaf, but I still question some of the guidelines because I have done it all.  Still, I feel human resource departments should be more educated about how to help make the interviewing process less daunting for those who do have a hearing loss.  It is the responsibilities of the individual to sell themselves, yet sometimes I feel that that is just not enough.  Still, the interviewer may be thinking, "How can this individual be of great benefit to this company if they can't hear?"  "Are we ready to waste our resources on this individual who could cost us?"  And trust me, these are discriminatory questions.  The list can go on.  If people were educated about the hard of hearing and deaf communities, I think it would help both sides to know that yes, someone who may be hard of hearing or even deaf can be successful if given a fair chance and shot.

While I was studying Exceptional Education at Buffalo State College, I learned that twenty years after the ADA Act of 1991 was passed, we have yet a long way to go still.  Many are not aware of the many different types of "disabilities" that play a role is why some people learn differently and think differently.  They also view the world around them in a different light.  Based off of the kind of treatment they receive, the world can be the enemy or a friend or a helpful world where people want to see them do well in life and they go on to do well, despite all odds against them.  With a strong sense of a support system, life can be made a little bit more easier.

In my own words, I believe we all should have a fair shot at doing what we do best regardless of our "limitations".   No matter how hard it may seem, some of us know we got to keep on going because life just doesn't stop, it keeps going until we have reached our final destinations.  It is determination, will and the ability to say, "I CAN!"  in a world that says, "YOU CAN'T!".    It may be a battle for some or even most, but it is one that is rewarding in the end because behind every successful person is a story of struggles and failures that helped them become who they are today.  If someone became successful at a young age and never had to really struggle for a very long time, I call them lucky because they may never reach the same platform as those whose struggles were more intimidating and inhuman at times when most would have given up.  It is those who are humbling enough to admit they are not perfect but they are willing to share their stories with you.  Just to show you they are human beings too and the understand more than others how difficult life can be when you are living with a "disability" or even "limitations".  The word INSPIRES comes to mind.

Well I must end this blog here.  Please note that the Buffalo Implant Group link (in my previous blog) may be disabled due to changes in the host site.  I will update the link as soon as I hear that it is back up and running.  Feel free to comment, share or even ask me a question.  I learn more about this as I meet and speak to those who have a hearing loss or who are deaf themselves.  They are a wonderful group of people.  Be blessed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Chances: Tackling the Workforce

A New Year: Moving Forward

CI Journey: What it's like a year and a half later