Today's Economy: Is it better or worst?

This is just an opinion piece, so bear with me.

Just over the last few days, I've been reading up on cuts on SNAP programs and the effects of such cuts in the Farm Bill.  I must say, I don't think the politicians understand the complexity of what life is like for the lower class or those who are struggling middle class or the working poor.  They are looking at the so-called "bigger" picture which is to reduce the National Debt but at whose expense really?  We have a growing gap between the rich and the poor and what is being done about that gap?  I say nothing really.  Every policy I have selectively read puts a lot of people between a rock and a hard place, so yes, many Americans and their families will feel things get tighter and tighter until they have very little left.  Is this a direction our country in heading into?  I think so.

The economy for the overall US may be slowly growing, but the issue remains for many: JOBS.  I read an article that quoted a politician stating that there are jobs out there and that they saw no reason for people to continue to get benefits.  I also read they believe that people should pack up their lives and move to where the jobs are and I went, "Seriously? Most people can't even afford to put food on the table or barely make ends meets and you are telling them to relocate to where the jobs are?"  I thought the statement was an unrealistic one to make.  During the recession, did they not hear the stories of people who had to literally dip into their IRAs and Savings Accounts? Did they not hear how senior citizens took out second mortgages to cover additional expenses and/or help their grown children out? Did they pay attention to those stories that actually made the news?  Everyday, there are millions of families suffering to get by in their location.  To tell them to relocate to find a job, may be doable for those who can afford the relocation, but for those down on their luck, it's not so simple.  Yes, their is a tax incentive that people can claim their moving expense on their tax returns for a job, however, depending on the time frame of that move, it would have to be within that tax year in order to be claimed (I believe, been a while since I looked it up, but feel free to double check).  The reality is this, people who had gone through their savings due to being laid off or unemployed for a long time, don't always have the resources available to help them get back on their feet and without access to those resources they can't live life above the poverty level.

If you are low-income and working a minimum wage job, you know how difficult it is to shop for food, pay bills on time and to cover all the expenses that comes along with having your own place and life.  You know the challenges you face and with the stricter policy changes being made, you worry more about if you will lose out on additional help even though you are working, but not making enough to sustain you for a month even.  But of course it varies across the states, from county to county.  For the working poor, they are people who may come from several different backgrounds and they either are homeless or about to be homeless because they cannot keep up with the increasingly high cost of living in some areas on top of bills and possibility student loan debts or credit card debts that is hurting their chances at getting a decent job.  For the struggling middle class, it has force some to leave their houses for apartments, reduce the two cars down to one car, smaller space to "save" money and continue to find more work to cover taxes, water bills, electricity, and everything that comes with home ownership and owning a car or two.  Middle class is struggling, to stay afloat but is also shrinking as more are falling into low-income and working poor categories.  Poverty has many different levels and it's not always straight and narrow, it's a complex issue that affects all the individuals I've mentioned.

If you haven't read any individual's story on how they fell into poverty or a deep poverty, obviously you haven't been paying much attention or you simply just don't care as long as you get yours.  I believe the problem with today's policies is becoming more about helping big companies out by promoting policies that allow they to keep more of their money.  While I am a former business major, I see why but I don't entirely agree with the approaches that have been taken.  Jobs are not easy to get these days, you either have experience or you don't.  In my case, I have worked many different odd-end jobs because I lacked experience and even though I do have a pretty decent work history, still I struggle to find a job that would take me in.  Right now, I just volunteer my time to run the social media aspect on behalf of the cochlear implant communities from my home.  Plus, I am also a board member for the local cochlear implant support group.  So I am active in "working" just not paid.  Is it frustrating? Yes, very.  I would like to slowly get away from government programs and work my way up to self-sufficiency, but I face a double-whammy when it comes to the hiring process.  I usually feel that many who have interviewed me turned me away because I had a hard time understanding them and yes, my interviews were cut very short.  Then their reason is either, "You don't have the experience", "You don't fit the image", "You don't have the experience we are looking for," and it goes on.  To me an easy way to avoid getting hit with discrimination.  So while I used my example of challenges I face, imagine the challenges that many others face that prevents them to from being self-sufficient.  There could be health issues that could hinder one's ability to work and they can look just fine but suffer with a "hidden" health issue.  There could be family issues at play, where finances are suddenly disappearing or a family member ends up with an addiction problem and needs to be put into rehab or one adult lost their job which was the main income coming in and is now forced to reduce to a lower level job that probably pays less.  There are so many variables. So many.  But do politicians think about the "average" American struggles?  Based on the news, I really don't think so.  I find them so out of touch that its becoming "All about the Benjamins" rather than about the American People.  If you have been blessed to not struggle as much as others do, you are one lucky person.  If you have be blessed to have a decent job and all the resources available to you (private resources that is), man you have no idea what some would give to have that level of comfort because everyday one step forward, three steps back. Sometimes, networking doesn't always goes as planned and for some it helps and others its a struggle.

I also volunteer my time to my local church's Thanksgiving Ministry and Christmas Ministry in preparing pantry bags and toys.  So, I see first hand how many families are affected.  I used to also do a lot of outreach volunteering in my younger days, you'll be amaze to see first hand just how widespread the problem of poverty is.  I believe that many companies should bring back their training programs as not many of us can get into an internship due to other obligations such as family.  Plus because many cannot afford the high gas prices, owning a car along with the expenses that come with it, public transportation is not widespread in a lot of areas and some have been reducing routes and number of buses it runs due to budget cuts.  Yes, budget cuts affects EVERYTHING.

I do believe there needs to be a serious common sense approach to our National budget.  Not a republican agenda or a democrat agenda, a NEUTRAL common sense agenda that works for everyone.  Now, I understand many politicians have lobbyists and they accept donations from companies and individuals who have enough to give them to support "uneven" policies in my opinion.  When the finances are not right and people can't get to those jobs due to lack of funds, how can you expect them to relocate to where the jobs are?  How can you say that they can most likely get a job somewhere else when once they get there and do the interview, where do they go if they don't get hired? They don't have any money to go back "home", how do you explain to people who get stranded and become a part of another local homeless population?  People who take a risk leaving behind everything they own and know for a "potential" job they could possibly get, shows initiative but when they learn they didn't get hired, it hits them hard because they have nothing left to get back to where they come from. What do you say to those who are trying but falling on hard luck?  After a while, yes it does get depression and to add depression to the mix, you have a discouraged unemployed individual who doesn't see a way out no longer.  Hence, another issue has arise and it becomes a mental health one.  Not everyone will have a strong support system and realistically, some support systems are not enough.

So is the economy in your household for better or worst?  Have you've been affected by cuts, tax increases, interest rates going up and so forth? Are you struggling?  Seriously, think about the free time you have and the free time you don't have.  I know people who work 24/7 around the clock because they have no choice but to work 3 to four jobs in their location.  Cost of living has gone up so much that not everyone is able to afford it due to lack of steady increases in the minimum wage.  If the minimum wage just increased at $0.25 to $0.75 a year, both state and federal level, instead of setting it, I don't think we would be seeing the scenes today of protestors asking for $15.00 an hour pay.  I believe we would see people making just enough  to support themselves and their families plus keep up with the rising cost of food and cost of living.  I really do think the tax coding should be simplified for everyone and that instead of impose higher rates on those who barely make enough, I do support higher tax rate bracket for those who make six figures and more.  If people don't want to hear about hungry families, individuals, homelessness and deteriorating neighborhoods, and they make enough money to pay a higher tax rate, that money in return can help improve lives all around.  Of course, our government would most likely misuse the tax dollars for their own agendas which is why I can see why some folks argue against paying into a higher tax bracket to the government.  However, the notion that those who live off the system and are living off of taxpayers money, is getting old.  While the break down on those who abuse the system is on-going, its hard to keep track of those who lie on their applications about their resources.  So while there are sub-committees dealing with the Fraud aspect of the system, in my opinion there are not enough people available to help stay on top of fraud and so they ask the public for their help in identifying individuals who are knowingly getting benefits they should not be getting in the first place. But first to identify the kind of fraud to look for, one must check their state and local sites about signs and tip-offs that could help reduce the burden on the system.  I know in NY state we have that in place. I do think some people just give up on themselves and just don't care to do more because to them nothing matters anymore and people just don't seem to care about where they end up.

Is education the best way out? I say yes, even though I'm up to my neck in student debt and still have yet to finish, its ridiculous I can't even afford to pay my loans and I am educated.   I had to take several medical leaves from school because my health was not strong enough to handle the stress and the demands of junior/senior level classes.  It is another frustration I might I add.  But no, I do not have help for my student loans and it's all on me.  So I understand the need to make higher education affordable and less burdensome on individuals and families who cannot deal with too much debt.  So I can see how everything is a matter of balancing.  I believe in helping people understand their life choices and being well aware of their spending habits and savings.  Not everyone understands finance anymore.  Not everyone can afford a personal financial adviser.   Not everyone have access to financial basis knowledge.  Somewhere along the way, one of the generations forgot to pass down a piece of old wisdom that taught many the difference between a need and a want.  Now everything seems more of a "want, want, want" ordeal than a "need" one.

So I don't know what this current government of ours will do, I'm not for either party at all.  If someone says that they speak on behalf of the American people, you bet I roll my eyes.  I believe if everyone had a fair shot at life, all these issues would not be issues today.  Just small issues they would be. No you cannot help everyone or save everyone, but you can make a difference in how life turns out for those at a disadvantage.  Think about ways you would like to see your local and regional communities improve the livelihood of those around you.  Think about the how a simple impact at a local level could possibly encourage other communities to take the same measures and if it grows and expands from one community to the next, then just maybe the government could take a cue from those local communities that are making a difference in the lives of their residents. Who knows?  But I do know, if another shutdown occurs, I think it would be wise to reduce the number of terms one serves in senate and congress if they prove to be ineffective.  "For the people by the people."  Remember that.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Chances: Tackling the Workforce

A New Year: Moving Forward

CI Journey: What it's like a year and a half later