I'm a HearStrong Champion :)

Last month (December 2014) I learned that I was officially named a HearStrong Champion.  I must say it is an honor and a privileged to be considered among a part of a wonderful group of people who have not only overcome the obstacles faced as a hard of hearing individual, but have at each point in their lives taught, inspired, helped, and contributed to breaking down barriers in this world
Gloria Matthews - HearStrong Champion

Living with a hearing loss of any degree can have it's toll.  It can affect your communications abilities, relationships, and more.  There is no one way of dealing or coping with hearing loss, you just have to find a way to comes to terms with the fact that your hearing loss is now a part of who you are, not what you are.  All this does take some time and experience to reach the fact that your hearing loss doesn't define you, it is how you define yourself.  I will admit, when I was young and fearless, like most kids are, I didn't think twice about my ability to hear.  But as I got older, I started to notice the need to self-advocate for myself and to somehow find a way to reach out to those who were working with me to understand that I can't keep up with multiple conversations as it wore me out.  I had to figure out what would work for me and what wouldn't.  When people talk about trial and error, living with a hearing loss is kinda like that.  You learn what works and what doesn't.  You learn who to work with and who not to work with and who is who when it comes to dealing with serious matters.  It's like, you are seeking but you're not, you're browsing to create a network of people who will not only include you but know how to work with you.  It's important to have the right kind of support system in place and to learn what's important and what's not.  The journey isn't always going to be easy, but it will make you a better person for it despite the set backs.


HearStrong champions serve as role models to help empower the more than 30 million Americans with untreated hearing loss to take control of their hearing health. Find out more about each of their inspirational stories!  You can go onto HearStrong Champions to check out all these amazing folks who have gone through the journey of hearing loss themselves!

Thank you all for reading my blogs and for your ongoing support! Lets make this year a GREAT YEAR!
                                                            




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Chances: Tackling the Workforce

A New Year: Moving Forward

CI Journey: What it's like a year and a half later